Pages

Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Ed-Tech Summit Day 2

Today we were greeted again by the wonderful Rooty Hill School Choir. This time you could hear the confidence in their voices as they sang a song from Moana.
Highlights for me today were the workshops that I attended and seeing my fellow MIT Sandra presenting hers. (I even got to use my behaviour management strategies on an attendee, by using my zone of proximity to keep him a little quieter- hehe)

Sandra Chow presented a wonderful session on Shifting Maths Teaching and Learning for Modern Learners. Maths would definitely be an area that I would like to do more with digitally. I now have a host of wonderful resources that I can't wait to try out with my class, syndicate and school.

For me, the discussions that I have had over the last couple of days have really shown that we are on the right path in NZ and in particular, with Manaiakalani. It highlighted the differences within countries, but even within schools. It was great to re-confirm the importance of the Key Competencies for our learners and that we are preparing our students for the future. So when doing this we need to not teach 'the normal', but teach 'the new.'

Another thing that sparked in my mind was the Power of Vulnerability. Brene Brown came to mind when thinking of our own personal journey, and finding the joy in taking risks. But the same can be said when thinking about learning. It is so important that we model risk taking with our kids and that they see us failing sometimes. This then makes it OK for them to do the same.

We need to find the value in the struggle. For nothing good or innovative comes easy. I also need to not put a lid on possibilities. Quite often we can think that something can't be done, when in fact we should be thinking......but what if we can!

Another fantastic day of learning that will encourage further learning in the upcoming days and months!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post