Pages

Monday, July 8, 2019

Ed-Tech Summit, Day One

Arriving for day one, it was hard to know exactly what to expect. A lovely greeting from the Rooty Hill School Choir was a reminder of what we are doing and why we are doing what we do.
The playgrounds were a great way to dive a little into what interested us, grabbing a snapshot of things we might like to explore further.
I came across the Merge Cube which was my first real experience with virtual reality. At a reasonable price, it was great to have a hands on play and is something I will look into heading back to Christchurch.

The first couple of workshops were fantastic and full of ideas. It was nice to attend Santi's workshop as I had not had much experience with Sheets and is an area I wanted to work on. I learnt how to make a pivot table and to do some formatting. This will be very useful when working with data.

My workshop was on Digital Creativity Tools. I was very nervous and once up there it was clear that it was really hard to know exactly what experiences all of the attendees had come from and what they did and did not know.
A quick padlet in and we got to know a little bit about who was in the room. Instead of speaking too much, I decided to very quickly touch on the tools and then allow them all to play. In hindsight, I should have gone through the tools a bit more and then allowed them to have a play. I roamed and supported throughout the session, doing a quick mini session as it became clear that a lot of the attendees had not used Google Drawing to create their own images.

Presenting was definitely an experience which took me out of my comfort zone and which I have learnt from in regards to the amount of time spent on teaching and then creating. It is definitely best not to assume!
The end of the day and it was a time for networking. I met a lovely teacher, who like me had been teaching for 15 years. It was nice to make connections with other teachers from Australia. 
What a fantastic day! Bring on Day 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post