Pages

Friday, August 7, 2020

My Town....Maths for Real! (DFI Day 3)

What I love about the DFI is that I get to create new things and learn new skills (personally), but can also can envisage how these new skills and tools can be used in the classroom to support my learners.
I have always found that Maths is the one area that I stumble on when it comes to designing learning tasks. So I was very grateful to attend Latham's Workshop Bubble, focusing on Using Google Slides to support Maths. 
Here is a simple but very effective task focusing on Geometry and creating your own town. 
The task meant that the student learnt more about using slides to create, but also consolidates what they know about Mathematical terms such as perpendicular, equilateral, etc. It definitely has the elements of problem solving too!
Engaging? Yes indeed. I could quite easily go back and continue to add to this and most possibly will!

So what were my main takeaways from today?

* Hapara- you can physically drag the priority students to the top of your group so that you can see them instantly!
* You Tube- I learnt how to set up my own You Tube Channel and make sure the settings were appropriate. I learnt that you can embed entire playlists too.
* SISOMO- Sight, Sound and Motion- I need to reflect on some of the tasks that I am setting for my students and check that they include these elements.
* Google Draw- I didn't realise that you could simply drag the Google Draw Canvas to make it bigger or smaller. I also want to try using the crop tool to crop an image into a certain shape.

I enjoyed using Google Draw to create my own personalised 'All About Me', to put alongside my blog in the Gadget Area. You will see it to the top right of my blog. 

So, in summary: 
We can create to learn, create to share, learn to create, learn to share.....
It is not a linear process at all and we can jump in and out of each of the LEARN, CREATE, SHARE stages throughout the whole learning process.
A fantastic day once again and very much looking forward to Day 4.


1 comment:

  1. Amber,
    I love the 'create a town' maths challenge. It's fabulous as you say in incorporate maths language as well as problem solving. Next step could be to ask students to create two different maps, using the same instructions. So they are having to think of other ways to arrange their town.
    I agree 100% with you in the fact that our learning in not linear! Sometimes we learn through sharing or creating, and sometimes we share what we have learnt. Once you have this mind set, it makes it easier to find time in our already busy classroom schedules to include time for sharing - the most important part of the learning process.
    Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post