Pages

Friday, September 27, 2019

Achievement

When listening to
Dr Aaron Wilson - Using data and evidence
to improve your practice
I think about VLO’s and identifying what the valued learning outcomes are for me as a teacher,
my students and my school community in regards to my MIT project. What is it that I want the
students to achieve and are these things actually valued by students and myself alike?
Achievement is obviously at the heart of what I want the students to achieve from my project,
but what about things such as their attitude to writing, the key competencies that they develop
through this project and enabling Maori to have success as Maori? Is the student’s participation
in this project accelerated and are they more engaged? What progress have they made?


What also resonated with me was around teacher observations and the problems with ‘observing.’
When observing we can tend to ‘see what we want to see’ and that we can make judgments based
on these. We can also focus our observations on one thing and make these observations fit with
what we want to see. So when I think of the observations that I have made in my classroom, how
valid are these observations? Do I add my own bias to these observations when what I am wanting
to see is progress in my students writing?
I have got student voice, anecdotal comments, and writing samples on their drive and in their books.
But ultimately, the shift I am wanting to make is in their achievement.


Have I enabled Maori to have success as Maori and incorporated a Ngai Tahu story into the
curriculum? Yes. Tuakana / Teina relationships are evident in my classroom to help those who
are less confident in writing to get the support that they need. Maori Kupu are being discussed
and used in class. Discussions have been rich around the mighty Pouakai.
Are the students developing their Key Competencies through this digital Storytelling process?
Yes. The students are communicating and collaborating, supporting one another through this
process. Sharing their learning tasks on their blogs and with others within the classroom environment.
They are developing their use of language, being exposed to rich discussions and a different
‘older style’ of written English. 

Engagement and interest has sparked richer vocabulary and this is clearly evident when you ask
the children about the Pouakai and read their writing. But has this made the shift required in their
achievement?

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post